Through the Town of Dunn’s Salt Savers program, residents can receive a discount on assessments and improvements made to their water softener by a trained professional. If a water softener is deemed too old or inefficient by the technician, a discount on a replacement unit is available. In the Town of Dunn sanitary districts, eligible residents will receive a discount at the time of service, which is funded by the District and reimbursed to service providers by the Town of Dunn for eligible softener services completed through May 31, 2022.
Currently, you are eligible for the program if all the following statements are true:
- You have an existing water softener in your home.
- You live in the Town of Dunn and are connected to the District’s sewer system through a sanitary district. Properties on septic systems are not eligible to participate. If you’re unsure of your eligibility, search for your address on this map.
- Your softener service is performed by a trained service provider who submits a report documenting the service to Town of Dunn staff. Replacements or optimizations that occurred prior to the start of this program are not eligible for reimbursement.
The program launched in October 2019 and will remain active and open to Town of Dunn residents for services completed through May 31, 2022.
How it works
- Gather as much information as possible about the condition of your water softener, including its age and brand. It’s OK if you can’t find all the history or details, but having general information about your softener helps your service provider determine its condition. You can also complete the home softener evaluation developed by the District to get an idea of whether your softener would qualify for an optimization or replacement.
- Call a trained service provider on this list and request service for your softener. You will receive an evaluation of your softener and optimization, if appropriate. These services are free to Town of Dunn residents during the pilot period. Some providers offer remote evaluations using photos or a video call; providers offering this service are indicated on the list.
- If your service provider determines that your current softener is inefficient and should be replaced, you will be eligible for a $200 discount to replace your softener with a unit with an efficiency of at least 4,000 grains per pound, or another approved water treatment unit. A trained service provider must install the new, efficient unit and document the installation for the discount to be applied. Your service provider will apply the discount at the time the new unit is installed.