Pursuing opportunities with the District
When we add a member to our team, we take that responsibility very seriously. We do not just look for someone to fill a vacancy – we look at how they will add value to the organization and their potential for growth after getting hired. We seek candidates who are dedicated to our mission of protecting public health and the environment, and are also adaptable, positive and culturally competent.
Our hiring process
Here is what you can expect as you pursue a career with us:
- We only post a job opening when we are looking to fill that opening; the District does not accept applications at other times.
- Our application process is automated and online; please visit our Career Opportunities page to see opportunities that are currently available. The initial online application process should not take more than 10-15 minutes.
- If you are unable to use our online application process, please contact us to request a suitable accommodation.
- When you submit your application, you will receive an automated email confirmation. Rest assured that if you received a confirmation email, we have received your information. Also note that if you do not receive the email, then you have not completed the application process.
- Once the application deadline has passed, applications will not be accepted. At that time, we will review all application materials submitted and contact qualifying candidates to schedule interviews.
- We frequently schedule phone interviews with applicants as a preliminary step. The phone interviews may last about 15 to 30 minutes.
- The next step is a face-to-face interview, either in person or virtually. You will be interviewed by a minimum of two people and the interview process varies for each position. Some interviews may last one hour, and others may take several hours.
- Before we extend an offer to a candidate, we will check a minimum of two professional references. We will contact the individuals that you listed on your employment application. We will try to inform candidates before we call their references, but this is not a guarantee. Please tell the people that you have listed as references that they may receive a call.
- Once our final decision has been made, considering the candidate’s background, interview and references, we will extend a job offer. The job offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check and, depending upon the position, possibly a physical exam.
- Once everything is complete and we receive your acceptance, we will set a start date and begin planning for your orientation and training.
- As a public government entity, we do participate in E-Verify and as such provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. To comply with the Department of Homeland Security, we use the passport or social security card to complete the E-Verify and confirm employment eligibility.