Come and see how we protect public health and the environment!
The Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District conducts free, scheduled tours of its Nine Springs Treatment Plant. Conducting tours is part of the District's continuing efforts to be a good neighbor and a positive influence on our community. Visitors will learn about the wastewater treatment process and ways that they can protect water.
A typical tour lasts approximately an hour and a half. However, the tour length can be flexible depending on your group's schedule and interests. Best starting times for tours are Monday through Friday between 7:30am and 3:00pm. We do not conduct tours on major holidays.
All plant tours must be scheduled in advance. Unscheduled, drop-in tours will not be accepted. To schedule a tour, fill out the tour request form and we will be in contact with you shortly to confirm the tour. We can customize our tours for the needs of each group visiting our plant, so please let us know if you have any specific questions or a specific focus for your group.
Closed-toe, sturdy, flat-soled shoes are required of all tour participants. Sandals, open-toe shoes and high heels are not allowed. We suggest wearing comfortable clothes as there will be a lot of walking and stair climbing on the tour. We do not cancel our tours due to weather unless it poses a danger to our visitors, so dress appropriately for the weather.
It is very important that all visitors to the treatment plant follow all safety guidelines. Prior to the tour, please review the district's safety information and expectations for tour groups and share this information with all members of your party.
The standard tour route includes stairs, uneven surfaces including grass, and a good deal of walking. Some parts of the route are not accessible to individuals with physical disabilities. However, with advance notice, we can make modifications to the route to accomodate all visitors.
- Maximum Group Size: To keep tour group sizes manageable and to help ensure adequate supervision of groups of children, large groups will be divided into smaller groups. Individual tour groups will generally be capped at approximately 20 people, or one class.
- Minimum Group Size: Tour groups of 5 or more people are recommended. We try to accommodate all tour requests, though, so if you are an individual interested in a tour, you can still fill out the tour request form or contact Emily Jones (EmilyJ@madsewer.org) to request a tour. We will try to combine these individual tour requests with other tours when possible, so individual tour requests may need to be flexible on the date and time of the tour.
The district requires adult chaperones for tour groups of minors. Each tour group must have an appropriate number of adult chaperones (not including the tour guide), as defined by grade level below:
- High school: At least one adult chaperone per tour group
- Middle school: At least one adult chaperone per group of 20 or fewer students; at least two adult chaperones per group of 20+ students
- Elementary school: At least one adult chaperone per 7 students
- Younger than elementary school: At least one adult per two children.